- 100% of a fulltime function
- Royal Academy of Fine Arts & Royal Conservatory
- Ref. ONDZF E 025
In order to be eligible for this position, candidates should meet these key requirements:
On 1 September 2018, candidates must meet the general requirements outlined in article V.106 of the Flemish ‘Higher Education Codex’ of 20 December 2013:
- be a citizen of a member state of the European Union or of the European Free Trade Association (exceptions can be made in line with article V.107 of the Codex);
- have full civil and political rights;
- have the required formal qualifications;
- conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with the requirements of the function;
- comply with conscription law requirements;
- possess the physical fitness required for the function.
On 1 September 2018, candidates must hold a master’s degree or an equivalent thereof.
Duties and responsibilities
- Successful candidates are expected to conduct doctoral research in the arts in collaboration with Ghent University, for at least 70% of the full-time employment;
- to assist in activities of educational support and student guidance within the relevant field at University College Ghent, for no more than 30% of the full-time employment.
- Candidates are capable of actively developing a personal artistic body of work that meets international standards;
- have an artistic practice with a strong research component and investigative attitude;
- have the skills required to successfully complete a long-term research project;
- take a keen interest in communicating about their personal artistic output and in the verbal expression of its contexts;
- are acquainted (actively or passively) with artists’ writings, and are interested in expressing themselves about their own artistic practice in this manner;
- have pedagogic and didactic skills, with teaching experience in higher education being a bonus;
- have an active command of English in light of institutional internationalization.
Remuneration according to wage scale 508. See the website of the Flemish department of Education for more information concerning this wage scale with respect to seniority: https://data-onderwijs.vlaanderen.be/salaris/schalen/lijst.aspx?p=26
In addition to public sector seniority, private sector seniority can also be taken into account. Seniority will be granted on the basis of certified employment attestations and after examination of the case.
Reimbursement of public transportation commuting or cycle allowance, an attractive sports offer, and staff ID with additional benefits.
Initial appointment will commence on 1 September 2018 or later and is for a period of two years, with the possibility of two two-year extensions of the contract upon positive evaluation (if exceptional circumstances would require such, an additional one-year extension is possible in line with article V.141 of the ‘Higher Education Codex’).
Applying for this position is possible up until, and including 28 March 2018, and only through https://www.hogent.be/vacatures. Candidates must include a curriculum vitae and cover letter.
Only complete applications submitted before the deadline will be considered.
In order to be complete, your application must contain the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae [lastname_1_cv.pdf]
- Cover letter [lastname_2_letter.pdf]
- Artistic portfolio (or a text file with a hyperlink to your portfolio to limit file size) [lastname_3_portfolio.pdf]
- Project proposal [lastname_4_project.pdf]
- This is a project proposal for a doctoral research project in the arts (6-year planning). Use only the template available here: English: [ https://www.hogent.be/www/assets/File/DPO/docform_EN_4_project.docx ] / Dutch: [ https://www.hogent.be/www/assets/File/DPO/docform_NL_4_project.docx ]
- Scans of required qualifications: at least a master’s degree or an equivalent. In case of equivalent qualification or foreign degrees, be sure to add any relevant indications of equivalence. [lastname_5_type of degree.pdf]
Important: Make sure all files to be uploaded are named as indicated above. Respect the limitations on file sizes, file types, extensions and special characters mentioned on the submission page. You will receive an automated confirmation of your application listing the uploaded documents. If anything is missing from that list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each project proposal must be endorsed by two supervisors; one at the School of Arts and one at Ghent University. The two supervisors are expected to submit their advice on the candidate and the proposal to University College Ghent’s Office of Research Affairs, via email@example.com on 28 March 2018 at the latest.
The template for this advice can be found here: English: [ https://www.hogent.be/www/assets/File/DPO/advies_promotor_EN.docx ] / Dutch [ https://www.hogent.be/www/assets/File/DPO/advies_promotor.docx ]
Info and procedure
The selection procedure starts with a preliminary selection based on completeness and the basic requirements. The committee will then make a selection of candidates to interview based on the application documents. The interviews are tentatively scheduled for late May 2018. Only when the entire procedure is completed will candidates be notified of the committee’s decisions.
A practical guide with more information on the PhD in the arts at the School of Arts and specifically on applying for this function can be found on this page of our website: http://schoolofartsgent.be/en/research/how-to-apply-for-a-researching-position/. Candidates are advised to read through this document carefully.
Any remaining questions may be addressed to David Depestel at the School of Arts research office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University College Ghent wishes to reflect the society it works for in the best possible way. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their professional qualities and skills, regardless of gender, ethnicity or handicap.