For the second time in a row de Koer organizes a residency program. We are looking for 6 committed artists, designers, musicians, architects, collectives… that want to connect their practice and networks to de Koer for one season.
De Koer works on a collective act of redevelopment of ‘Zaal de Meibloem’, a historic site of 2000 m² in the middle of the Brugse Poort in Ghent. The new construction plans will be postponed in order to reconstruct the site at a slower pace. We will take a slower, more deliberate approach as a way to view the site in an inquisitive manner. For this reason we are setting up a residency program from November 2017 until September 2018, which initiates from the space and will feed the imagination of the site.
The residency can take on several different forms: a parade, video work, programming, an exhibition, a physical interference in or around de Koer, a happening, a maquette, a trajectory with residents or visitors…
What do we expect?
- A commitment of minimum one month during the period of the 1st of November 2017 until the 30th of September 2018
- A proposal that contributes to the site’s imagination and speaks to the historical, architectural and/or social meaning of the place
- Presence at the monthly residency meetings and participation in the Reflection Program ‘Tot in de stad' (5 nights in collaboration with Vooruit, Piloot.co, Atelier Autonomous Design - KASK - Ghent, Research Group Art, Space & Context - LUCA - Ghent)
- Preferably the residency has a participatory approach
What do we offer?
- An inviting and inspiring space to get started
- A productional and substantive follow-up of your plans and ideas
- A salary of 1000 Euros
- A limited production budget depending on the concrete plans
How can you submit your candidacy?
Send the following documents (.pdf) before Saturday 7th of October to email@example.com
-A proposal of maximum 2 A4 pages which clarifies your idea, approach and ideal timing.
- A portfolio of maximum 4 A4 pages with a concise CV and images.
How do we select the residents?
From the submitted proposals a selection will be made by a jury consisting of Sofie Joye, Kristof Van Gestel, Riet Steel, Lore Smolders,Hari Sacré and Danielle van Zuijlen.The jury strives towards a diverse, complementary and committed group of residents. We will announce the selection on Monday 16th of October.
Do you want to know more?
- During the Open monumentendag on September 10th as well as during the opening party Vrij Vanavond on the 23rd of September, the building will be presented to the public. These are ideal moments to get a picture of the site.
- A visit to the place and a tour is possible on Wednesday 27th and Saturday 30th of September at 1 p.m., 4 p.m. or 7 p.m. Please sign up via the form.
- You can find more information about the operation of de Koer at www.dekoer.be