The English-taught postgraduate Digital Storytelling is a programme aimed at the storytellers of tomorrow. Creatives who want to explore in audio, video, photo and text what the internet has to offer for storytellers. Telling stories on social media is the key part: think vlogging (YouTube), blogging (Medium), social video (Facebook, Instagram), podcasting and social photography (Instagram, Snapchat). Next to that, we also dive deeper into concepts like transmedia, crossmedia, storytools, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence.
Anyone who considers him- or herself a creator and who wants to tell online stories, can apply. The programme is open to all students who are in the possession of a bachelor or masterdiploma. If you already have experience in making photo, video, text or audio, that’s a nice to have. But it’s no must have. In weekly studio exercices, you’ll get the hang of it. After registering and sending in your motivation, you have a talk with the program’s coördinator to discuss your ideas and your work. If the talk is positive, you can start the program.
This postgraduate programme will help you refine your skills in storytelling, in finding and reaching an online audience, and sharpen your digital proficiencies. You will be trained and inspired to create and spread your story using the newest media tools, such as VR & 360, social video, live video, social photography, longreads, blogs, podcasts, vlogs, etc...
The programme takes up a single academic year and consists of 39 ECTS credit points, divided over five training modules: Inspiration in Digital Storytelling, Experiment in Digital Storytelling, Digital Storytelling in audio, video, photo & text, Internship and Personal Story. The first three combine lectures with practical assignments that you work on during studio time. The last two comprise extremely useful and extensive practical assignments: under the guidance of a tutor, you will develop a project that provides an answer to a realistic issue that can come from any number of societal sectors. Individually or in a small group, you will intern in Belgium or another country. Finally, you will develop your own personal graduation project under the guidance of professional media coaches.
Classes take place Monday and Wednesday evenings from October till March. From then on you continue working on your graduation project and you do an internship. On Thursdays you work together with other students from October till the end of the year. Every week there are assignments that equal a day’s work more or less. During the year there are no less than 5 of these. The tuition fee is 2950 euro.
The programme is taught in English. There's an online motivational talk and an intake. There is a high demand for professional digital storytellers, which comes as no surprise, as stories are perfectly suited to conveying a message. This is a highly practical training. Having completed it, you are ready for the creative digital media sector. It will not take long before every company will be relying on digital storytellers to convey their stories. Mostly, these storytellers are digital influencers.
Graduates of our programme are now professional media makers, either in their own media production companies, as content specialists for larger organizations or creating their own artistic stories for an online audience. If you have any questions, please contact Pieter Blomme (email@example.com) who is the programme’s coordinator. This postgraduate programme is a collaborative initiative of KASK School of Arts and Chase Academy..
- Lance Weiler (Columbia School of Arts Digital Storytelling Lab, USA)
- Domien Huyghe (Earlybird Films, BE)
- Brecht Vaes (digital Studio Brussel, BE)
- Klasien van de Zandschulp & Mark Meeuwenoord (Lava Lab, Polymorf, NL)
- Dries Depoorter (independent internet artist, BE)
- Nienke Huitinga & Lisa Weeda (transmedial artists, NL)
- Yann Bertrand (photographer, BE)
- Wim Forceville (VR-expert, Fisheye, BE),
- Sven De Coninck & Jan D’hont (Chase Creative, BE)
- Niels ‘t Hooft (hybrid writer, NL)
- Laure Cops & Wouter Vanmol (Nunam interactive narratives, BE)
- Filip Fastenaekels (VRT, BE)
- Raphael Rodan (Mezrab Storytelling School, NL)
- Barbara Dzikanowice (Happiness Content Agency, BE)
- Tim Vanhaecke & Sacha Claes (Chase, BE)
- Georgio Copter (Snapchat & Instagram creator, USA)
- Nick Hannes (Magnum Photography Award Winner, BE)
- Katharina Smets (independent audio storyteller, BE)
- Maggie Beidelmann (senior producer en video journalist AJ+ , USA)
- Vincent Schroeven (Hurae, BE)
- Eveline Lemahieu (Vidsome, BE)
- Sandra Gaudenzi (!F Lab, Universiteit van Westminster, i-Docs, UK)
- Bert Dries (aka Musketon) (graphic designer, Musketon, BE)