I want to go abroad as a student
Grants and calls
Our Programmes ▾

Studying abroad

I want to go abroad as a student

Gaining international experience within your study programme is easy at KASK & Conservatorium. Since the art field is pre-eminently international, we have an excellent international network with partner institutions and organisations that can help you find your bearings on your artistic path.

During your studies at KASK & Conservatorium you can study or do a traineeship abroad for a semester or an entire year. The easiest and most accessible way to do this is via the Erasmus+ programme. You can choose from a list of approved partner institutions.

In addition, KASK & Conservatory have several bilateral agreements with institutes outside Europe. The list of our partner institutions and their websites can be found on Chamilo under “studentenaangelegenheden / internationaal”. Another option to gain some international experience is in the context of a Bachelor or Master’s Thesis.


Studying abroad means that you study at a partner institution for a minimum of 3 months and maximum 12 months. You remain enrolled in our school and do not pay extra registration fees at the partner institution. Once you are back, the student administration integrates the credits and results you achieved into our programme.


If you choose a partner institution in Europe then your exchange must satisfy the Erasmus+ conditions. The most important conditions are:

  • There is a bilateral agreement or an Erasmus work placement contract between KASK & Conservatory and the school you want to attend.
  • The partner institution is located in one of the 27 EU member states or in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway, Turkey or Croatia.
  • You are enrolled as a regular student in KASK & Conservatory.
  • You passed the first year.
  • Your studies abroad last a minimum of 3 months and maximum 12 months.
  • You must ensure that all the necessary paperwork, signatures and stamps are in order on time.


KASK & Conservatorium works together with partners outside Europe. Every year students attend Kanazawa College in Japan and we have close ties with the Institut National des Arts (INA) in Kinshasa.

The list of our partner institutions and their websites can be found on Chamilo under “studentenaangelegenheden / internationaal”.


Are you planning to continue your studies abroad? This would obviously give you some advantages on both a personal and professional level, however requires a lot of preparation. We recommend you start planning your studies one year in advance – as you need to take into account a lot of practical details and financial aspects! More info on the HOGENT website (only available in Dutch).


Every student in the professional bachelor’s degree programme must complete a work placement. Our academic master’s degree students gain experience in the programme ‘art in the field of action’. You can gain this experience across the border.  The school has contacts with organisations inside and outside Europe. A work placement coordinator will help you to make a choice that suits your individual path.


Each student that goes abroad to study, complete a traineeship or as part of his/her artistic work needs to register in mobility online before departure. This registration automatically makes you apply for a grant. For most mobilities and grants there is a deadline (see below).


Discuss your plans with your senior lecturer, traineeship coordinator or Liaison Officer Internationalisation of your study programme. Decide whether it is a good idea to leave, which partner institute or host organisation is the most interesting for you and which period is the most suitable. The list of our partner institutions and their respective websites can be found on Chamilo via studentenaangelegenheden (student affairs department) / internationaal (international).


Register online via this link. Registration for an international mobility in the academic year 2022-23 is possible from February 2022 only. This registration differs from your application at the partner school or internship workplace.

For scholarships (Erasmus and others) an important deadline applies. You have to register before 25 March of the academic year preceding the year in which you plan your study or internship abroad. Only then can you win a scholarship and be included in the selection procedure. Registering after this date considerably reduces your chances of obtaining a scholarship.


For study abroad: contact the student affairs department to follow up your application. Prepare your portfolio or make your recording. Investigate the possibilities and conditions related to an exchange with the partner institutes that interest you. Every partner has its own deadlines for submitting an application. Be sure to check out the procedures on their website. You can find a list of partner institutes and their websites here. Many schools work with an academic calendar that differs from our calendar. View their calendar and investigate whether it is compatible with your own schedule and that of your annual programme.

For traineeship abroad: contact the host organisations abroad after consulting with your internship coordinator / coordinator Kunst in het Werkveld (Arts in Practice).


Students that are confirmed to go abroad will receive more information on further administration, insurances etc. before their departure.

Grants and calls

The Erasmus programme provides Erasmus+ grants for foreign study and/or traineeship abroad. During your student career, you can only claim one Erasmus+ grant for studying and one Erasmus+ grant for a traineeship. The monetary value of the grants varies annually but fluctuates around 300 euro. The number of grants is limited. Read the procedures carefully before submitting an Erasmus+ grant application if you want to apply for a grant. Application deadline: 25 March preceding the year of your international exchange.


It’s not really going abroad but since 2004-2005 you can also complete part of your studies in the French-speaking or German-speaking Community (with a bilateral agreement). This initiative of the Prince Filip Fund wants to stimulate communication and exchange between the various Belgian Communities. This grant is available for both study and traineeship exchanges, and amounts to 100 EUR per month if you are also residing in the French-speaking or German-speaking Community. Application deadline: 25 March preceding the year of your international exchange.


Those who want to travel to a developing country in the context of their traineeship or Bachelor or Master’s Thesis can apply for a VLIR-UOS travel grant. The following countries are eligible: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam, Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru, Surinam. There are two calls per year (depending on wether you are planning to go abroad in the first or second semester). A limited number of these travel grants, worth 1000 euro, are available. A HoGent selection committee awards the grants based on several selection criteria. For more information go to this page. If you have concrete plans, it is best to contact the student affairs department. Deadline: 1 September (exchange in Sem 1) or 1 December (exchange in Sem 2).


The Flemish Government provides grants for mobility outside Europe for the purpose of study or traineeships. Students travel to higher education institutions with which their faculty has signed a cooperation agreement. There is a new call each year which you can apply for. These grants are limited in number and vary between 500 and 3000 EUR. Contact the student affairs department for more information. Application deadline: 25 March preceding the year of the international exchange.


ASEM-DUO Belgium/Flanders provides grants for the exchange of pairs of students with a partner institution in China, India, Vietnam or South Korea. Grants will amount to 650 euros per month for the Flemish student and to 800 euros per month for the Asian student. Each student will also receive a travel allowance of 1,100 euros. The funding is limited to a maximum of 4 months. A longer stay abroad is possible, but will take place without a scholarship. More info on asemduo.org or via the student affairs department.


For students who opt for a study/traineeship in Brazil, Japan, Morocco, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, US or South Africa (min. 1 month). No time to lose: if you are interested you will need to send us your final application before 12 March preceding the year of the exchange. Contact the students affairs department for more information.


Students can do a traineeship abroad up to 12 months after their graduation, provided they have registered on the Reconfirm Traineeship Platform before graduation. More info on www.reconfirm.eu/en/incoming-international-trainee/ or via the student affairs department.