Study advice
Student counselling
Individual education and examination measures
Personalized learning track
Part-time studying / combining work and study
Study progress monitoring
Changing your registration details
Student and learning track counsellors
Our Programmes ▾

Student and learning track counselling

Study advice

With questions about your learning track or for student counselling you can address your programme’s learning track counsellor. They will advise you on student issues and assist you in figuring out the best way to successfully complete your training. The learning track counsellor will answer your questions about personalized learning tracks and different options within main subjects, advise you on elective courses, provide feedback on your exam results and coach you in studying.


If you are still undecided as to what programme to go in for, or if you wish to know more about studying at KASK & Conservatorium, be sure to call on the learning track counsellors. They can shed light on the different programmes and their main subjects and help you to find out which of them is the best match for your interests. You can also get advice on how to make a choice that takes into account your reasons and motives for starting a training. Are you looking for a vocational or a more academic education? The learning track counsellor will inform you about the differences in approach and outlook.


the learning track counsellor is also your contact in case of reorientation. Does the reality of a programme not match your expectations, do you wish to choose a new direction, or does another programme or main subject seem closer to your interests? You are welcome to discuss this with the counsellor, who will see whether switching programmes or subjects is possible at that time, or what steps to take in order to be in the best starting position for reorientation.


Choosing an education is often the result of long-term perspectives as well. You should ask yourself what you wish to achieve and where you want to go, also after your studies. Is a bachelor or master degree your final goal, or do you want to start another programme after that (e.g. the educational master programme, an advanced master programme or a doctoral training programme)? The learning track counsellor can provide you with information about the options, and introduce you to the professional fields where our alumni get employed.

Student counselling

In the first year especially, higher studies demand great changes. For many students this means the start of a search for a new, individual studying method. To make the transition from secondary to higher education as smooth as possible, you can participate in one of the workshops we organize throughout the academic year. In these sessions we address such issues as planning your studies, making presentations, writing papers, reflection, language, dealing with fear of failure…

Additionally, all students from all years can at all times contact their programme’s student counsellor who will provide support for their learning process, either individually or in small groups.

It can occur that certain personal problems that at first glance are unrelated to your training interfere with your studying. Such matters can also be discussed with your programme’s student counsellor.

Contact your student counsellor to make an appointment and develop a personal approach in consultation. Whether you come for a single session or make it a weekly or monthly appointment is entirely up to you.

The student counsellors are only linked to a specific programme for practical reasons and function completely autonomously. This means that all sessions take place in an atmosphere of complete confidentiality. Only at the student’s request and if deemed necessary the lecturers will be contacted.

Students who experience difficulties in studying a subject, completing an assignment or who have trouble understanding something can at al times contact the lecturer concerned.


If you already have a degree or if you are completing part of another programme, you might be eligible for exemptions on the basis of ‘previously acquired qualifications’ on the condition that you can present a valid credit certificate that attests to the acquisition of the knowledge, insights and skills aimed at in a certain course unit. Therefore, and in order to be granted an exemption, the learning outcomes of the course units must be sufficiently comparable.

For more information on requesting exemptions contact the study and learning track coach.

When you have been granted an exemption for a specific course unit, this course is no longer part of your curriculum. This means that you are then no longer required to attend classes, complete assignments or take exams for it.


Individual education and examination measures

Under certain conditions you may also be granted individual education and examination measures for taking exams, studying a specific course unit or participating in projects. Depending on the situation you may obtain a personalized arrangement for taking exams or attending classes.

In the Education and Examination Code (art. 24), the university college describes the conditions for granting these measures:

  • functional impairment: a learning disability, a visual, auditory or motor impairment, a psychiatric condition, chronic illness …
  • medical grounds (e.g. a broken arm, pregnancy, hospitalization …)
  • exceptional social or individual circumstances (e.g. homecare for a parent …)
  • special status: the special status can be granted to students engaged in top-level sports or students who practice an art, hold a political mandate or a mandate in a governing body, the student council, the participation committee or course committee of the university college. The special status must be applied for with the Special Status Committee who will assess your eligibility. The faculty decides on whether or not the status is granted and on the education and examination measures you can benefit from.

Individual education and examination measures are granted on the explicit and individual request of the student. Your written request must be submitted to the learning track counsellor and must be accompanied by all relevant certificates. The application must be submitted before the start of the individual education and/or examination activities.

These measures are granted for a single academic year and must be applied for by the student each year.

Personalized learning track

A personalized learning track is a track that is ‘made to measure’ and differs from the standard track. It can be a track either under diploma contract or exam contract.

You are following a personalized learning track when you:

  • are granted exemptions
  • wish to enrol for more or less ECTS credits than the proposed standard tracks
  • are required to retake one or more course units
  • combine course units from different standard tracks
  • wish to combine education and professional activities

The application for a personalized learning track must be submitted within 15 days after the start of the academic year or within 15 days after a late enrolment.

In a personalized learning track you should take into account:

  • the sequential order of course units
  • the spreading over semesters (temporal organization)
  • overlaps in the class schedule
  • feasibility of the programme
  • your educational history (study progress)
Part-time studying / combining work and study

Many students wonder whether it is possible to combine their studies with professional activities. It is not evident to study a full-time programme in combination with a full-time job. In most cases this means that classes overlap with working hours, while class attendance is in fact essential to successfully complete the programme.

Yet each year there are students who succeed in making this combination. In many cases they make use of the possibility to complete the programme at a lower pace, in a so-called personalized learning track or in a part-time track, and they choose to work part-time temporarily.

In a limited number of cases working students are eligible for exemptions based on previously acquired competencies, which can also make the programme less heavy. As the programmes emphasize practical classes and permanent evaluation, you can only choose for an exam contract for a limited number of course units. Under a credit contract you can acquire different credits over a period of time without completing the entire curriculum. Applying for a credit contract must be done through the study and learning path coach and must be granted. Some programmes require you to take up a minimum set of credits upon enrolment for the main discipline/studio. Be sure to check on this with the study and learning path coach.

In choosing for a part-time track particular attention should be paid to the temporal organization of certain course units. Especially practical course units are organized on an annual basis and are not split in half (in terms of ECTS credits and workload). When you have completed these modules, the rest of the programme and your path towards a degree can then take several more years without the main discipline/studio. You should definitely take this into account when starting a part-time learning track.

Study progress monitoring

For prospective students who have already completed a programme in higher education and who wish to commence a programme at KASK & Conservatorium, the study progress will have to be checked.

A student’s study progress is an indication of how this student makes progress in a learning track. It is the learning track counsellor who follows up on (prospective) students’ study progress. When this progress is not according to expectations, binding conditions can be imposed that the students must meet in order to be allowed to continue his or her studies. In some situations students may be rejected on the basis of study progress monitoring. Do not hesitate to contact your programme’s learning track counsellor with questions concerning this matter.

Changing your registration details

When you register, you can enter a nickname as well as your official name. The nickname appears on chamilo, lists of marks, attendance lists, etc. However, the official name remains on official documents. Do you want to change your nickname? Mail to your study counsellor.

The standard, automatically generated e-mail address is The nickname is not included in the automation, but it can be changed manually afterwards if desired. Do you want to change your e-mail address? Mail to your study counsellor.

Student and learning track counsellors

Annelies Carbonelle

DRAMA (bachelor, master, educational master)
VISUAL ARTS (bachelor, master, educational master)

Annelies Vlaeminck

MUSIC (bachelor, master, educational master)

Karen Van Petegem

AUDIOVISUAL ARTS (bachelor, master, educational master)

Sylvie Moerman